Russ, it is my belief that the idea behind any torque spec is that it is
applied when no "pull in" stress is being applied.  Does it matter too much
for keel bolt?  I don't know.  2 the 8 of mine are under the mast so I'm
not going to torque the bolts very often but when I do it will be as
"proper" as possible.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+