I don't think it's practical to add zerk fittings while the rudder is in the
boat.

In 2007, I had the rudder out of the tube and so was able to drill through the
casing and each Delrin bearing. I used a small 1/8" bit. I then epoxied a
stainless bushing (1/2" MPT x 1/4" FPT) to the outside of the fiberglass casing
using some pieces of cloth and West System 404 filler. All of the threads of
the bushing and the hex are captured in fiberglass reinforced epoxy. The zerk
fittings are screwed into the 1/4" holes. The bushing allows me a way to change
the zerk without bothering the epoxy. Zerks have a spring loaded ball and
sometimes fail. I had to replace one that wouldn't stop weeping about five
years ago. All stainless parts were ordered from McMaster-Carr.

Chuck S, Rersolute, 1990 C&C 34/36R