The second that the tip of the drill bit goes from fiberglass/Delran to
stainless you will feel it and know you’re done drilling. And is a little
scratch or divot really going to hurt the 3” schedule 80 stainless pipe (or 3”
stainless bar stock) the rudder shaft is made from? (With a carbon fiber shaft
I’d definitely drop the rudder.)

It’s probably better if the rudder is out, but I’m not sure it makes a
significant difference. Having enough thickness of the fiberglass/Delran to
accommodate the tap and the threaded length of the zerk was a bigger concern
for me. But the fiberglass tube on my 38 (no Delran bushings) was closer to ½”
thich than ¼”, so no problems.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC