Marek,

As a rope guy and racing sailor I have to disagree with regards to using a
dynamic rope for traveler control.  While there is the occasional
desirability of shock absorbing capabilities for the traveler (which is why
most have rubber bumpers or dampers on the cars or track ends, one could
just as easily suggest dynamic rope for a main sheet.  Why not, if that's
the desired characteristic for preventing hardware damage in a bad gybe?
Because it would stretch and cause your sail to lose shape!  Same as the
traveler!

  The reason for using low stretch line for both main sheet and traveler is
that of control.  Unless you're in a drifter, there's always some level of
load on a traveler which is why most use 2:1, 4:1, or even 6:1 purchase.
Put on a stretchy line, you'll be adjusting the traveler all the time to
compensate for the high percentage of stretch.   Additionally, a dynamic
rope is much like a crash helmet, designed for one good stretch (or crunch).
Once that occurs, the rope is done, stretched out and the stretch is
non-recoverable.  So after a big crash gybe, you have a significantly
weakened rope that may not offer the performance you need for either racing
or cruising.

Dynamic climbing rope is engineered for fall protection and must be retired
after a hard fall.  And furthermore, most dynamic ropes have a parallel core
which can not be spliced.  So to terminate the dynamic rope you have to use
a knot (weakening the rope) or sew an eye to attach to a padeye or becket.
Nowhere near a strong as a proper double braid eye splice.

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic

1983 35 Landfall

Padanaram, MA

(Marketing director and Rec Marine Products Manager, Novatec Braids Ltd.)