My main halyard was chafing where  it rested on the masthead turning block when
the sail was furled, I expect because I was clipping its halyard to the
lifeline, later switched to the end of the boom.  I had neatly spliced a
shackle for the headboard. So I couldn’t ‘freshen the nip’ by shortening the
halyard, nor could I end-for-end it to extend its life.  So, next time no
splice, I will simply tie it.  thanks for the suggestion josh. It’s worn enough
that next time is now...

The halyard is specified as wire/rope, 94’ total, and the rope diameter is
7/16”.   I had switched to rope previously, some kind of mid priced low stretch
Dacron double braid.

Other than comfort - is there any reason I must use 7/16, or could I reduce to
3/8”?  It’s a pile of line to stow when the main is set.
Any line recommended for ease of coiling  and handling? (Would be a nuisance to
have to wrassle with it...)

Thanks all.   Dave

33-2

Sent from my iPhone