Yes Ron, double braid is really the only best option.  It appears that you
have interpreted the graph in the same manner as I.  There are a few other
factors that are going to impact your choice.

I got the Samson XLS dirt cheap for my check stays.  I chose it for its
cost first, color second, and ability to splice core to core third.  It has
performed fine in this application.  My only complaint is that it doesn't
flake neatly and I'm regularly fighting with hockles.  Sta-set has never
given me the problems that XLS does.  If you can find the novabraid in a
desirable color I might suggest pursuing that option.

There is a color scheme that I found online which you may want to
consider.  Green for mainsail, blue for headsail, red for spinnaker.
Solids for halyards.  Various fleck colors and patterns for the sheets and
control lines.  In this manner you and anyone else can quickly identify any
line associated with the mainsail because of its "green" scheme.

And since you are talking about a halyard, a lot of people like to make a
core to core eye splice for attaching to the headboard shackle.  Consider
that the spice will stiffen and thicken line for 1 to 2 feet.  This is the
exact area where the line will pass through the masthead sheave.  It is
also the place where added resistance when hoisting the main is least
desired.  Instead you might try a double over hand on itself.  Read more
here:
http://www.caves.org/section/vertical/nh/46/doitie.html

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk