Peter:

That the unsealed end of the plywood shows signs of water damage does not mean
you have a core problem past the edge.  In addition, I view water sloshing
around as encouraging – it would not be sloshing around if it went somewhere
else (where it couldn’t be seen).  After the area is air dried for a few days
(a hair dryer would be better, but you obviously need electricity for that), I
suggest starting with a moisture meter to determine if cored wood near the
chainplate connections shows elevated moisture to the point it becomes a
concern.  If the core is not wet (as I suspect), seal up the exposed edges of
the access portal and move on to the deck.  The deck core around the chainplate
cut-out may also be an issue.  You should check/repair this as well before
re-bedding the deck fitting.  I would not use 4200 for anything, especially
since reading the article about how it can turn back into goo after a year or
two (don’t know if 3M fixed that problem).  Based on suggestions from this
list, I now use Bed-It for all deck fittings.  It works very well.

Good luck!

Matt

C&C 42 Custom