Definite yes on the Butyl Tape.  Recommend Bed-It brand.

Denatured alcohol will accelerate the process of drying wood.  Not familiar
with your boat so unsure how you would use it.  If you can get the alcohol
into/onto the wet wood, it will mix with the water and the resulting
solution will evaporate more quickly.

--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83

On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 12:26 AM Peter McMinn via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I discovered water via failed bedding at the starboard chain plate had
> been draining into the cavity behind the settee bulkhead where the
> plate/nuts are accessible. It's all glassed but the trapped water sloshed
> during sailing and saturated the unsealed plywood edges of the access port.
> Now I'm worried about rot around the plate bolts in addition to a wet deck
> core. Ugh.
>
> I've temp sealed the deck plate with Gorilla tape and am considering ways
> for drying things under deck (we're on a ball so no AC). Once I get a
> handle on any rot issues, I'll be cleaning/rebedding both chainplates.
>
> Any thoughts on this process?
> Thoughts on using butyl tape for bedding instead of 4200?
> The nuts/bolts were new when new chainplates were installed in 2011.
> Should I replace these?

Thanks for your help.
Stu