Always an interesting topic.  True, conventional wisdom says end for end
(EFE) up to 35 feet.  Also agree EFE is faster.  Don't disagree that dip
pole (DP) gybing is safer.  We do end for end gybes on Touche'.  Our pole
is 3.5 inch aluminum.

Regardless of EFE or DP gybing, I think the most important concept of
gybing is the philosophy or mentality of the crew.  Whereas many crew tend
to think a gybe is the chute coming across the boat, I prefer to visualize
the boat turning under the chute.  That is, the chute, and its aspect to
the wind doesn't really change.  The chute is moving down the course and
the boat turns side to side under it.  To me, it's a subtle but significant
way to visualize gybing.  The helmsperson really needs that visualization
when gybing.

On a side note, I spent 2 hours this morning patching holes in an
asymmetrical chute, its snuffing sock and storage bag.  It's a chute I got
from a dock buddy for doing some work on his boat.  It should fit Touche'.
The chute was stored on top of his batteries.  The holes were from battery
acid.

Next is fitting the snuffing sock with a new metal hoop.  The old one is
broken.  It collapsed on the chute and grabbed it so it wouldn't go up or
down.

--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 4:03 PM cenelson--- via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hey listers,
>
> My 1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb was originally set-up for dip-pole jibes using an
> aluminum pole and used the bayonet style fittings.
>
> After it disappeared from my storage location, I decided to go with a
> carbon fiber pole from Forte and fit it for end-for-end jibes since it was
> now pretty light (~11 lbs).  We used it that way but recently we decided to
> go with the dip-pole jibes with this pole. The consensus was that for this
> length boat, the dip pole was the way to go.
>
> However, I think this may be a carry over in thinking from the days when
> all poles were aluminum--at some pole length, such a pole length makes the
> pole too heavy to manhandle on the fore deck.My boat is sort of on the
> border at 36 feet (actually 35.5).
>
> Some local racers suggest using the end for end in light air and the dip
> pole when the wind is up. Of course then my fore deck crew has to remember
> how to do the dance with both methods!
>
> So what is the opinion of the listers--especially those who race AND use a
> kite?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie Nelson
> Water Phantom
>

> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and
> help me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
Thanks for your help.