> On Jun 23, 2018, at 08:55 , Richard Charles <rcharles...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 19, 2018, at 3:56 AM, Michael Starke
>> <michael.sta...@hicknhack-software.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm currently trying to find the bottleneck in my app MacPass that's causing
>> the scrolling in the main table to be sluggish.
>>
>> Before diving deeply into Instruments to find the culprit I realized that
>> scrolling with the trackpad is butter-smooth but scrolling using the mouse
>> wheel is rather slow. When I start to scroll down, there's a slight delay
>> but then the scrolling works smooth. This is not the case when scrolling up
>> or when scrolling using the trackpad.
>

> I downloaded MacPass 0.7.3 and created a new document with 200 entries in
> what I believe to be the MPTableView. I tried scrolling with a Logitech M510
> mouse wheel using the standard apple driver (no custom driver installed). I
> also tried scrolling with track pad on a MacBook Air.
>
> Normally a mouse wheel with detents will have acceleration when scrolling but
> no momentum. Normally trackpad will have momentum when scrolling. This
> behavior can be seen when scrolling in TextEdit, Contacts, and Mail.
>
> When scrolling in MacPass with a mouse wheel the initial delay I believe is
> due to acceleration which appears to be normal. However when mouse wheel
> movement has stopped scrolling still persists for a short period of time
> almost appearing to be momentum. This is not normal. A mouse wheel has no
> momentum if it has detents. So this is a puzzle.

Unrelated, but I felt compelled to rant: I hate websites that try to implement
their own momentum scrolling. With the Apple Mighty Mouse (still the best mouse
they made, despite its flaws), those websites continue to scroll a bit after
I've stopped moving the ball (which should stop the scroll dead in its tracks).
This is not a mouse or driver problem, it's a misinterpretation of low-level
events by badly-designed Javascript.

--
Rick Mann
rm...@latencyzero.com