> On Oct 11, 2019, at 12:44 AM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 10, 2019, at 6:18 PM, Richard Charles via Cocoa-dev
>> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just a guess but perhaps management had an awakening when they found the
>> time and effort expended to write the next even better version of Finder in
>> Carbon was substantially more difficult and costly that the prior Cocoa
>> version.
>
> The only Cocoa—>Carbon Finder transition I know of was before 10.0 shipped.
> The development versions had a NeXT file manager with a Mac UI skin, but
> before release that was replaced with a Carbon-ized port of (a subset of) the
> MacOS 9 Finder. That Finder lived on for a few years before being replaced by
> a new rewritten Cocoa version.
>
> —Jens

The NeXT/Rhapsody file manager was what I was referring to.

As for the 10.0 Finder, I’m sure it shared code with the OS 9 finder, but it
was an essentially new app based on PowerPlant (which the OS 9 Finder, to the
best of my knowledge, was not). It did not feel much like the OS 9 Finder, and
it was missing a lot of basic functionality that the OS 9 Finder had had, much
of which was gradually reintroduced over the years. The Cocoa rewrite of the
Finder did not appear until Snow Leopard was released in 2009. Notably, the
Finder was still Carbon when Apple suddenly out of nowhere (again, from the
perspective of an outsider) dropped the previously promised 64-bit Carbon
support in 2007.

As for the Dock, there was no OS 9 analogue to that at all, so the only
conclusion can be that it was rewritten in Carbon from the ground up, when a
Cocoa one had been previously available. This is difficult to explain other
than as a statement of confidence in Carbon.

Charles