There’s a (short, I think) chapter missing from this story. I attended a public
(technical) talk in Town Hall (I think it’s called) at Apple shortly before or
after I went to work there. It would have been around 2000-2001.

The speaker’s message was that the future of the desktop was Java. A pretty big
surprise and unwelcome news for those of us who saw Apple as the future of
Objective-C and the NeXTStep lineage rather than the other way around. As the
talk went on, it came out that the speaker was the manager of the compiler
group responsible for Java and Objective-C — and had been going back to early
NeXT days. So one had to conclude that he was committed to the course he
described. People tried to ask about Objective-C (vs. Java) and he said that
Objective-C was done, he clearly didn’t want to talk about that.

This before the public release of Mac OS X 10.0.

Another effort that sank in the deep blue sea.

I think one has to assume that technology strategy at Apple is less disciplined
by the business side than at companies like IBM, Microsoft, Intel, Oracle, etc.
And within Apple, there is a certain amount of chaos within Engineering that
gets exposed from time to time. I think they might feel that’s a good thing. If
you’re thinking like a business person, you should accept this as a given and
make your decisions accordingly. If you’re thinking like a person who likes the
technology, you may or may not reach the same conclusions. But I don’t think
you’re going to change the way Apple does things.

Me, I still don’t understand why, given the long history of support at
Apple/NeXT for C++ and the maturity of the compilers available, there is any
need for Swift. But there it is. Or, there they are. Perhaps this is the way
the younger generation overtthrows the older? Or not, but I’m pretty sure there
is no compelling business argument for it.

        Tom