Full disclosure: I don't use iAd, so this is based on WWDC recollection and doc
lookup.

The "Test Advertisement" I believe only displays when you are testing during
development. Users will never see it.

Keep the banner view hidden until you receive a bannerViewDidLoadAd: message in
the ad delegate. Presumably this just won't get called in regions that don't
support iAd.

You could setup a timer to load from other ad networks if you don't receive an
iAd within some predetermined period.

(Sent from my iPad.)

--
Conrad Shultz