On Nov 9, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Karl Goiser wrote:

> Your first option looks better to me!
> :-)
>
> All I’m saying is that Objective C is a very mature language now
Depending on your perspective, you can say this for many languages. But only
the dead ones do not evolve (Objective-C, does it, though)

> and if it has been able to get by
You should ask the *developers*, not the *language*, if they experience issues
and if they feel comfortable to workaround these issues.

> without adding this extra layer of complexity, why introduce it for an edge
> case to address a situation where people are expecting it to act like C++?
I wouldn't say it is an edge case. If you develop small applications in a
one-man company, and no plugins, you may feel this as a minor issue.
Others won't agree, and actually have a big problem.

Namespaces for Objective-C will likely not require the same feature set than
what is available in C++ (e.g., no argument dependent lookup). There is also no
need to do this. The only thing that should be considered when introducing
namespaces in my opinion is, that it should be seamlessly integrated into
Objective-C++. The negative asset against C++ made from a few posters here, is
futile - Objective-C will have and be Objective-C++ as well. This requires to
consider C++ syntax - and IMHO, regarding namespaces, it isn't ugly at all.

> Apple, after all is all about being simple and clean, and its language of
> choice should reflect that because, after all, it’s the developers who create
> the simple and clean.  In my opinion, Objective C is an embodiment of the
> Apple attitude.
From the developers view, using namespaces shouldn't appear to be complex and
its usage should be certainly optional. IMHO, Objective-C could stay without
having namespaces. C is required to use the same approach to avoid name
conflicts: prefixes. However, introducing namespaces to Objective-C++ could be
worthwhile to investigate if this is feasable. IFF, then integrating namespaces
with C++ possibly could be done seamlessly.

Andreas