On Oct 3, 2012, at 12:44 , Marshall Houskeeper <mhouskee...@media100.com> wrote:

> Our plan is to use  Security-Scoped Bookmarks for all new documents to store
> external file references when we go to the sandbox environment.   In our use
> case, I would guess that none of the external referenced files would be
> stored in our sandbox.

What I'm saying is, for all *new* documents, you can't create security-scoped
bookmarks unless the user has authorized each (via the open panel). Thus, even
for future documents, if they contain thousands of references via bookmarks,
then you would have had to get them through the open panel thousands of times.

Of course, this is the worst case. If the user is actually adding (say)
hundreds of files from a single folder, then presumably you'd might have the
user choose the folder and create a bookmark to the folder rather than the
files.

But the point is that AFAIK:

        1 security-scoped bookmark == 1 visit to the open panel

Depending what your app is actually doing, this might be painful for users. In
the Final Cut scenario which Sean mentioned, I'd assume there *is* a visit to
the open panel for adding each asset (or asset folder) to the project. But that
was true even before sandboxing entered the picture -- sandboxing doesn't
really add anything new (except perhaps to force re-authorization of locations
for items in existing projects, one time).