On 4 Oct 2012, at 20:18, Marshall Houskeeper <mhouskee...@media100.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Our products are a  video/audio editor  application and video effect plugins.
>   In both cases, our file formats (data block for plugin data) can store many
> file references.  Our files keep references to file types such as quicktime
> movies, audio files and text files as well as links to our program and bin
> files.    We have been shipping products well before the introduction of
> security-scoped bookmarks.  Our customers have very large libraries of edited
> shows that they often go back  to edit or review.  The data for these
> programs is often spread  across multiple disk volumes.

Right, so how are you storing that reference? A raw path?

I wasn't terribly clear I'm afraid: Bookmark data was introduced in OS X 10.6.
It's only with 10.7.3 that you could generate security-scoped bookmarks. The
two are completely compatible though; 10.6 can happily handle security-scoped
bookmarks. And 10.7+ can decode the old bookmarks, just without the ability to
actually access them.

Another approach you could take, or perhaps do alongside the document-scoped
bookmarks, is to ask the user what disks/folders they're using for the project.
You can then save an application-scoped bookmark to that, granting you access
forever more.

> Another wrinkle to the problem: Users commonly wil move/delete and then
> restore to the same or another disk the audio/video/image data while changing
> projects.  One feature that  we provide that will also break under sandboxing
> is the ability to scan the local and network drives to relink media the has
> been moved or restored to a new location.

Well you can pop up an open panel asking to select a folder/disk to scan. That
grants you access to perform the task at least.