On 3 Oct 2012, at 19:48, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 11:38:10 -0700, Quincey Morris said:
>
>> If an item is in your sandbox, you don't need the bookmark at all (for
>> security reasons, anyway). If the item is *not* in your sandbox, then
>> you're going to have to ask the user for access -- possibly thousands of
>> times.
>
> Which is of course ridiculous.  Can you imagine Final Cut Pro or Xcode doing
> such a thing when opening their old documents?  Notice Apple hasn't sandboxed
> those applications?
>
> My solution for now is:
>
> <!-- Allows full access to filesystem, due to numerous difficulties with App
> Sandbox. <rdar://11616142> -->
> <key>com.apple.security.temporary-exception.files.absolute-path.read-write</key>
> <array>
>       <string>/</string>
>       <string>/Volumes/</string>
> </array>
>
> You still get some benefit from the sandbox (protection against network, USB,
> camera being compromised), but have full file system access.
>
> If you care about App Store (I don't), they may not allow this.

They almost certainly won't allow it. A combo of pleading, explaining, and
being well-established might help you out though.

Ideally your entitlement would be read-only for most apps. Sadly though due to
a bug you need write access to a file in order to generate a read-only
security-scoped bookmark to it at present.