On 11 Dec 2013, at 17:20, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
> The documentation is sparse though <SNIP>...That’s my somewhat limited
> understanding, not particularly well-informed by the docs, but appears to
> work by experimentation.

The commonality of this experience makes me wonder almost with everything I try
to do in Cocoa whether it really IS true as advertised that the pre-written
APIs make it easier than writing your own raw code all the way down in C and
Obj-C or whether the whole Cocoa edifice has turned into such a monster that
for anyone except the seasoned expert, quite the reverse is true.

It’s certainly seemed the case to me that I would have probably spent less time
just writing my own code from scratch than I spend trying to figure out how
half the methods I’m trying to use should be implemented. Of course, I always
give in to Cocoa on the grounds that I figure I must be being stupid and
missing the obvious and/or it’s inevitable that I’ll have to learn how to do it
‘the Cocoa way’ in the end.

Still, you can’t help wondering… ;)