At 10:25 AM -0800 12/10/13, Seth Willits wrote:
On Dec 10, 2013, at 1:32 AM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
> But my situation is that I need to draw VECTOR objects up to 25,000% zoom with no pixelization.

You're given a CGContext to draw into; What's the difference? The tiled drawing is async, so if the drawing doesn't occur fast enough it'll scale up the low-scale bitmap, but what's evil about that? It's like Apple or Google maps.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm just getting head into optimizing some code which displays live preview for a number of JPEG streams simultaneously.

Most implementations I've tried result in being CPU bound in JPEG code on the main thread with the 7 other cores idle.

I've tried variants of NSImageView, CGImage and CIImage and all that's needed to render them on alternate threads but Cocoa appears to so good at delaying evaluation as long as possible that it seems to end up calling the JPEG decoder synchronously from -drawRect of whatever view subclass I've chosen on the main thread.

Any suggestions for what technologies to use to run a JPEG through, say CIImage w/o blocking the main thread.

This has turned out to be way more complicated than I thought.

Thanks,

-Steve