Diana,

well, the point is that the pipeline "drives" the sequence of transformation
stages (XML->XSL->HTML, for instance), but it is not "driven" by it.

For instance, you cannot use a particular SAX event, say, the presence of
element "<login-failure message="Wrong password"/>" to redirect the pipeline
to a different URI.

Some weeks ago I had an interesting e-mail exchange with Giacomo Pati on
this... if you like, you could read those messages in the mailing list
archives.

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant