> Subject: RE: Inserting / Comining XML data
>
> Sorry Rob,
>
> I'm not explaining it well, but I'll persevere because I'd like
> to see where
> it goes myself and maybe get other peoples options on whether it
> is a valid
> way of doing things or not.

[ deleted ]

> So from a "Pull MVC" point of view you could give your screen designers /
> stylesheet programmers a "protocol document space" (PDS) as their
> interface
> to the back end which they use at will without ever having to come back to
> the model layer to ensure the data is passed in (push), e.g. your
> PDS might
> look like:
> "catalog://cars/*"
> "catalog://vans/*"
> "sales://invoices/0002332"
> "orders://customer/Larry?from=20001512"
>
> Each type returns a doc of a predefined DTD so you have a totally clean
> interface between web designers and backend logic - no custom tags,
> extension elements, logic sheets - just a set of URLs and DTDs. Sort of
> thing.
>
> Sorry for the rambling and rampant acronym coining. It's late and I'm
> beginning to think this is a much better idea than I previously
> thought - oh
> no! not another redesign ;-)

Hey,

I've been following this discussion.  This is not rambling, the concept
works.  I've done it before using http:  That is, created a URIHandler or
something similar, but then wrapped it in a servlet and made sort of an XML
XPath requester that loads stuff from a database.  However, I think Robs
point is that pretty most anything you'd want to do with a URIResolver
class, you could also do with http: (i.e. a servlet)  So the calls might be

http://localhost:8082/serve/catalog/cars/*
http://localhost:8082/serve/sales/invoices/0002332

(I think you could probably even get the "http:localhost/serv" put somewhere
else so they would have to know that, but I'm not sure how...)

The XSL processor would then go get it if you used "document()".  And that's
a problem with the way you're viewing it I think.  The "document()" function
is part of the XSL processing (Xalan), not part of cocoon as far as I can
tell.  Now, you might be able to add stuff to Xalan, but then your XSL would
be tied to it.

Unless you're talking about in the sitemap.xmap file.  This get XSLTed down
to java, compiled, and run so presumedly it's handled a different way.