Ah yes sorry - I missed the bottom part of the previous mail in my original
reply.

... As Karl rightly points out this is pure XSLT/JAXP stuff, I don't use
Xalan I use Saxon and it works just the same.

Thinking about this more in terms of cocoon, maybe the best way of utilizing
this sort of method is rather than to try and use it within logic sheets (if
at all possible) to have a 2 layer transformer, e.g.

<!-- Feed in your static XML -->
<map:generate src="docs/{1}.xml"/>
<!-- Transform in your dynamic XML fragments using the document() function
-->
<map:transform src="stylesheets/business_funcs.xsl"/>
<!-- Final styling transformation of resultant XML to HTML etc. -->
<map:transform src="stylesheets/simple-xml2html.xsl"/>
<map:serialize/>

So in effect you use this mechanism in place of XSP - although you are still
able to use that as well as your original source!

Do the newly registered protocols work within the sitemap as well? If they
do you could get really silly and do sensibly:
<map:transform src="http://stylerepository:9090/mystyle.xsl"/>
or crazily
<map:transform src="dynamic-styles://generate-4-customer/Larry.xsl"/>
where you could dynamically generate (and cache) a stylesheet for a specific
use which could compile in relevant rules and wotsits. A bit over the top -
but could be used to effectively produce custom on the fly pre-compiled
stylesheets.

All the best

Luke