Hello,

Well said Conal. I can't believe that an army of over 100,000 librarians
continue to purchase closed ILSs and other software that limits how we
serve our patrons yet have the nerve to complain about dwindling library
budgets and even the nerve to refer to ourselves as information scientists.
I know I sound belligerent when I make these comments but someone has to!
We, as a field, must do better. I come across Librarians who struggle
creating a Google account. I couldn't imagine them using a terminal! But we
allow this to occur when we have these debates instead of practicing modern
librarianship. Libraries are paying $4000 for Desk Tracker from compendium
and the stats results are beyond reproach! I'm not sure but I believe its
$4,000 a year! A series of Google forms could return stats much better and
easier. With a little code from librarians it would blow Desk tracker away!
But we argue about whether we should use Linux or whether all librarians
should know how to code. Maybe something is wrong with me?

Thanks,

Cornel Darden Jr.
MSLIS

--
Cornel Darden Jr.
MSLIS

"Compound interest is the greatest invention in the history of mankind."

- Albert Einstein-