Siobhan,

I teach a course on digital curation tools and applications for the
University of North Texas, and one of the motivational pieces I use is the
Digital Curation Centre's chapter on "Open Source and Digital Curation" by
Andrew McHugh in the Digital Curation Manual (2005):
http://www.dcc.ac.uk/sites/default/files/documents/resource/curation-manual/chapters/open-source.pdf
.

Most of my students won't go on to be coders -- in fact, I suspect that
most of them will interact with systems primarily through GUIs -- but I try
to give them enough of an introduction to *nix and specifically bash that
they aren't afraid to use it (well, everyone should be a *little* afraid).

Danielle Cunniff Plumer

Danielle