Hello,

A reference librarian solves information problems. If I ask an average
librarian how to rip a video, how to convert file formats and videos, or why my
files and videos aren't playing; should they be able to help? That's the real
question. Should reference librarians know how to create online finding aids?
Should reference librarians know how to robot websites to find information?
These are very serious questions. Should reference librarians know Unix our
Unix-like systems?

"I'm a librarian, an information professional! Unix, Linux, code, XML, SQL?
What's that? I don't need to know that stuff to be an information professional.
What do these things have to do with information!"

This is very serious! I think some of us get caught in the idea that we
shouldn't force knowledge onto others or make them feel bad about not having
it. But if the librarians with the knowledge don't push it, how can we move
forward? Hopefully, librarians entering the field will understand that these
skills are necessary. If we leave it up to the current culture, I think we will
keep making excuses.

Thanks,

Cornel Darden Jr.
MSLIS
Library Department Chair
South Suburban College
7087052945

"Our Mission is to Serve our Students and the Community through lifelong
learning."

Sent from my iPhone