OK, so ${javac.classpath} is defined in nbprojects/project.properties. Mine
was last updated about a month ago. I manually changed the classpath
settings and I can now compile.

However when I run my app in the simulator I get a class not found
exception for the barcode scanner whereas the new application is able to
find it.

So it is not just the class path that is messed up. I backed ot my changes
and will wait until I hear from you.