On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Krinkle <krinklem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Op 29 okt 2010, om 14:51 heeft Magnus Manske het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Multilanguage tags, as well as synonyms, could simply be implemented
>> as #REDIRECTs, maybe. [[Tag:Blume]] would redirect to [[Tag:Flower]],
>> so a search for "Blume" would know about "Flower" easily. However, the
>> system would then have to search for both Blume and Flower internally.
>> Also, that could be a problem with "false friends" (en:Gift=present
>> vs. de:Gift=poison).
>
> Though that's certainly not a bad option. I was thinking not to use
> page-title search
> when searching through tags. Instead the tag-table itself which
> contains all the i18n
> versions. An option on the tag-search page could specify whether the
> search should
> cover English( and/or user-language), or all languages.
>
> Reason being that using redirects would practically mean we are
> supposed to keep
> all redirects in-sync with the tag-translations, which seems double
> work.

A separate database table derived from the wikitext on [[Tag:Flower]]
would certainly work as well.

Another idea: Instead of inventing new syntax or pseudo-HTML tags, why
not use language links? On [[Tag:Flower]]
[[en:Flower]]
[[de:Blume]]

That is well-known syntax, and could be nicely parsed for some other
applications (On [[de:Blume]] "Search for images on commons relating
to Blume" generated automatically, or something)

However, it would preclude synonyms within the same language, as there
is only one language:title pair stored AFAIK.

Magnus