Noah,

What I was proposing below is *VERY* far from what ipv4-soft-landing-bis does.

I have, and continue to, oppose this policy.  Because it will extend the life
of v4 while we languish behind in terms of v6 deployment.  I’ve already stated
in previous emails on this thread that there is a clear correlation between v6
deployment and v4 depletion – and this proposal you reference slows v4
depletion.

I’ve also already stated there are organizations out there going v6 only with
CGN64 / DNS64 to talk to the v4 internet – and that has big implications for
people not running any v6 in the long term, negative implications.

Slowly the depletion of v4 does not help this continent – it hurts it – badly.
Look at the global v6 deployment map – Africa’s v6 penetration levels by the
latest APNIC reports are at 0.15% compared to a global average of 7.94% (And
google puts global average at closer to 12%).  The difference? The rest of the
world depleted v4 – Africa hasn’t – and the motivation isn’t there to deploy.

Every day we hold v4 space for general allocation is another day this continent
falls further and further behind.  We need to be doing everything we can to
*accelerate* v4 depletion – not slowing it down.

Btw – the reason I haven’t moved this discussion onto the policy list is
because there are wider areas than just specific policies.  If we get into
policy specific issues I’d rather go to the RPD list – but I do think ideas as
to the acceleration of v4 depletion and the benefits and drawbacks behind it
are very much a topic for discussion by the community.

Andrew