Which is exactly the point I'm opposing.

> at the moment it's private and need-to-know and that way by intention.

Exactly.

> nits and twits and bags on the side: it would be a simple matter to alter
> the script that collects this to account for those who use their public_html
> directories for something other than 'about me' stuff.  anything from looking
> for a ~/publis_html/.nopublish file, or reading a similar file to find out
> where the publishable stuff is.. computers are our servants.  mostly.

It's not that I don't want my page up there, I either want none or all
committers
to be on there, all equally represented.  Otherwise people are going to think
exactly what Andy wrote as (the first part of) a suggested page description:

"These are the homepages and voices of the Apache Community.  These
pages represent the committers and members of the Apache Software
Foundation."

Which is simply not the case if not all committers and members are represented
on there.

Sander