Ben Hyde wrote:

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 04:28 PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

Wow.. I really do feel like I'm at the Congress of Vienna.

huh? (and yes I know what the congress of vienna was).

conservatives sat on the left and the more liberal sat on the left (hence where the terms "right" and "left" became associated with conservative versus liberal). The two sides to every issue as of late keep bringing this to mind and the very issue pointed to below.

It keeps coming back down to this:
open  (we sit on the left)
closed  (you sit on the right)

and it really keeps being that simple.

Exactly how does this have anything what so ever to do with open vs. closed?

Whether one wants the community closely associated with the people in it, and make those people more accessible to the world at large. It has everything to do with open versus closed. It has everything to do with whether this looks like a closed geek society (the star chamber) or an open community. And the "you shouldn't because I'm too busy too" and "your visibility detracts from mine" is a very different viewpoint on how a community should operate....

(never been a fan of zero sum ecnomics anyhow)

-Andy