+1

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Costin,

I agree with pretty much all of your particulars.  To summarize, if I might:

- the ASF repository shall contain ASF jars, which don't
  require oversight beyond the issuing PMC.

- the ASF repository should contain shared third party
  jars for which the ASF has approved their use and
  distribution.

- the ASF repository shall be mirrorable.  Tools
  intended to work with the ASF repository should
  understand mirroring.  [If not, they may select
  a specific mirror, but I don't believe that we
  want them to select the ASF repository as *the*
  location.]

- multiple repositories are good things, and smart
  tools should deal with multiple repositories.

- a smart tool might present a click-through license.
  The repository should permit this as necessary.
  [netbeans.org does this, by the way]

- ASF projects, however, must not rely upon unapproved
  third party jar files in such manner as to compromise
  their license integrity, even if that jar is not
  distributed via the ASF repository.

If this becomes an apache-wide policy, I strongly disagree
that Maven can decide for apache policies.

I have proposed that the repository be a build-tool-neutral infrastructure sub-project, since Dw expressed the willingness to have it under infrastructure. I propose that Dion Gillard initially lead that effort, taking advantage of his experience in the area. I don't believe that Dion is a "Maven will define for all" kind of guy. Yes, the repository effects all projects, but to me that just means that each PMC that cares to should represent itself, not that we need to have dozens of people working this out.

        --- Noel

Nick Chalko                                         Show me the code.
                         Centipede
 Ant + autodownloadable build plugins + needed jars autodownload.
             http://krysalis.org/centipede