On Monday 27 September 2004 00:35, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> for a doctor to tell your friends and neighbours that you have cancer?

Hippocratic Oath (not sure of spelling), similar to a contract.

> for an employee to tell its employer
> that it really hates its job, and intends to resign at the earliest
> opportunity in order to take a job with a competitor?

Well, that is the choice of the employee, and I doubt that it will raise much
eye browes if he/she does.

> or for an employer
> to tell an employee that it'll be fired for cause in three weeks?

I am not entirely sure, but I think this falls under Labor law, and not only
acceptable but required from the employer. Even considerations of the
possibility of laying off people must be communicated to the Labor Union upon
occurrance.

You forgot "National Security", which is basically kept within the Armed
Forces and Special Police Force, plus reinforced by signed contracts.

Business communications are typically governed by mutual NDAs.

I am sure there are more cases, where communication secrecy is backed by
contract?

So, I still maintain that a cultural difference lay behind the difference of
opinion, whether the mail to the Metro group, to the Avalon PMC and
accessible by all ASF members were of confidential nature or not.
And I sure did check with Stephen McConnell what his take was on quoting his
name straight up, and he had no objections whatsoever.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /