On Wednesday 01 December 2004 11:26, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> more important than the community's vision

The "[VOTE] Single Avalon Platform"[1] was started by Aaron. The vote passed,
although you decided not to participate.
True, the vote is not about Merlin==Avalon, but about a to-be-defined
specification, although it is hinted both in the [VOTE] as well as in the
Vote results[2], that Merlin is the only platform that had enough momentum to
fulfill such specification.

> proceeded to engineer consensus by attrition,

I am sick and tired of hearing this about Steve (just because something is
said enough many times, doesn't make it true), so let's bring out some
attrition...

* Leo Sutic called the "Merlin camp" <quote>Steve and his Nazi hordes</quote>.
* I pointed out that was inappropriate language in a very formal tone, but not
really offended.
* Greg Stein[3] steps into the discussion and goes;  "What's your problem?"

So, my conclusion was; to Greg it is fine to call someone a Nazist, but it is
not fine to object to it. I found that disgusting and left the Avalon PMC in
protest.

In the end, there was a lot of "mouth" and very little "action" from one camp,
and very much "backing your mouth with action" in the other. Many people lay
their argument to rest and steps aside to let those who are able to complete
their vision. Steve proposes/suggest to the remaining individuals to do the
same, THAT is what you now call attrition.

The proposal of splitting into both Excalibur and Merlin TLPs are a result of
all these flamewars. To be frank, at that time, Merlin was the technically
different project. It had expanded the scope of Avalon by a magnitude, yet
members of the Board encourages us to withdraw the proposal and forge ahead
within Avalon. The people who didn't like Merlin, started Excalibur, i.e.
'old Avalon without Framework'.

Furthermore, during the Merlin TLP proposal, Mr Coar tells me that he will not
support the formation of a project based on balkanization of people and only
for differentiation on technology. YET, he did exactly that with the
Excalibur TLP, AND not along technical differences that Merlin in effect was
all about. When pressed, Mr Coar admits that he didn't know any of the
technology within Avalon, and trusts other members of the Board to provide
the judgment.

Noel, you know all of this, yet you decide to ignore facts and only re-inforce
the myth of "consensus by attrition" of Stephen McConnell. Your motives for
that is unknown, and I won't speculate, but I will not let you get away with
it that easy.

Now is now, and everyone who set out to get Steve kicked out of ASF have
succeeded. Mission accomplished, without officially having to kick him out.

In retrospect, do I regret that we now are active outside ASF? No, not at all.
I think it is a bigger loss to ASF than it is to us. Transitional hurdles for
some Merlin users, yes, but we are getting over that and will forge ahead
with a lot of "action" and no "mouth". Since "mouthing" is the fashion in
ASF, I come here to do it... :o)

Cheers
Niclas

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=107906869526922&w=2

[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=107940014832041&w=2

[3] Since Greg was not an Avalon user nor developer, I assumed that he
intervened in the capacity as ASF Chairman, but he later pointed out that he
was acting as an interested individual, my peer developer, hanging out on the
Avalon PMC list, and not acting in any official capacity.
--
  / http://www.dpml.net       /