On 15 Sep 2010, at 16:38, Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> Usually patches only get applied if  committers think they are good
>>> enough and worthy to apply. Not every patch  gets applied no matter
>>> what.
>>
>> And how is that dependent on the version control tool? See, it isn't.
>> It's a function of the community's value system.
>
> In his repository he can just commit.

And hence there is no penalty to do so - the only social capital involved is
your own. There is no need to consider a wider range of use cases. You are an
isolated artisan.

> Whether that gets merged to the
> "official" repository is a different question. And only for *that* it
> is the same value system.

I guess for me this is the story of the very competent Artisan; the amazing
artist and all the works of incredible sophistication we got to see until the
mid 1700's. Which did allow others to stand on the sholders of prior workers
and mentors - but rarely gave whole ecosystems a boost. Even the building of
cathedrals had this temporal dynamic - and few are 'integrated'.

While leading to a certain time of innovation - the industrial revolution and
the internet today provides us with a different type of amplifier - which goes
way beyond mere communication - it is furthering a different quality.

And I certainly believe that a certain cost/pressure to make your contributions
cleaner & wider usable is helpful as for social cohesion and leads to better
build foundations.

Dw