----- Original Message ----

Then perhaps your portrayal of the typical role for an Apache committer
was "exaggerated for effect".  When the day comes that most of our
patch submissions to jira are git-formatted (and hence incompatible with
svn) I will be far more receptive to the idea that svn is a greater barrier
to community participation than svn is.

> If anything, my interest in a  decentralized version control system is to
> even the playing field, remove  obstacles, and empower contributors.

Sure, but you have to ask yourself why it is that Apache committers tend
to make a *lot* more noise about this than our contributors do.  I suspect
the motivation is more "because git is so powerful" than the more idealistic
notion that "git levels the playing field".  But I commend your idealism
nonetheless.