On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 09:05 -0700, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> > It is amazing  how you (and I mean a big y'all of people negating
> > distributed SCM along  those last 5 years or so) can keep the
> > illusion that a technical solution  (called "centralization" here)
> > can keep an organization together more than a  set of core values
> > can.
>
> It comes from experience with dealing with younger projects in the
> Incubator that are not so enthralled with svn's workflows, and the
> social problems that seem to result from those attitudes.  Eric is
> a relatively new committer at Apache and he still talks about his
> role as being like a "gatekeeper".  That's not something he picked
> up from us.

I'm going to work really hard at not being offended by this.

I do not view myself as a gatekeeper, and more importantly, that is not
a role I desire (for myself or anyone else).  However, I'm not
self-deluded enough to believe that because I aspire to lofty ideals,
that I somehow do not possess access to a controlled resource _that
others do not_.

If anything, my interest in a decentralized version control system is to
even the playing field, remove obstacles, and empower contributors.

--
Eric Evans
eev...@rackspace.com