j lindsey wrote:

I have an aluminum powerbook running OSX.3.7, with a crossover ethernet cable going to my wonderful Color Classic running OS 7.5.5.
I'm running the latest OT for 7.5.5, and internet sharing works over the X-over cable. The color classic connects to my home folder on X.3 automatically at startup as a shared drive.

My question is perhaps a little ambitious for 7.5.5 but here goes:
Since the powerbook is a 12 inch, screen real estate is scarce. Is there a way to use the color classic as a second screen? That may seem a bit silly, but I know there's something that does what I want but only on OSX called Teleport. I wanted something like that which worked on the classic too.
Does VNC have this kind of functionality? Is there a VNC client for 7.5.5?

Don't worry, the classic wouldn't be a slave screen all the time!
Thanks for any help you can provide,
Joey Lindsey

Exodus would be my first and only choice, there are others with varying degree's of uselessness. Version 5.2 or below, I believe it works on a 030, I know it works very well on a 040, sorry the mac that runs it is offline or I'd check it.

MacX is another (i dont like it - Exodus is better) and again I cant say if it works with a 030, the readme's for these things are worse for info than most mac software - 1.1.7 is the version I have which works under OS7 and above, earlier versions may cover you but the thought of using them makes me shiver, ymmv.

There are others which I'll spare you all the descriptions. You will not be overjoyed with the performance of any via your ethernet as the compacts nic is too slow for real work. ( god knows how or why people would make a router of these things on a real LAN ) These are both Virtual Network Clients so only display output on the 68k mac, everything goes through the network so the faster the ethernet the better the result.

You then have the trouble of setting the required server up under OSX, Exodus uses rsh, rexec or ssh1 or xdmcp for connection and are hard enough to configure on a new Linux system, I've no idea how much fun OSX would prove to be.
I've ran Pear, Sheepshaver, win4lin and gimp with reasonable success via Exodus (in other words OSX10.3.4, OS9.04, Win98 and a current photoshop clone in this way) the only limit is the T10 nic.

Have a look around for Macssh(68k) and see if that can connect as a third option. I haven't used it so??

I cant think of another way to make the CC *a second screen* but thanks for telling us you have OSX 10.3.7 sharing internet and a folder to a compact, some folks seem to have so much trouble with this.

cheers