Yes, that is what is does, I have however since the last post traced the problem to a degree anyway, I put it down to [1] the problem was when I was running through the debugger, and [2] I have no mac UI of any sort as I am using Think C's console (so I can printf and see what is going on), this I believe was not supplying any events so the WaitNextEvent was just sitting
there.

OK, I just caught this.

As I understand it, the low-level TCP code is supposed to be generating events that will satisfy WaitNextEvent(). It's possible that the TCP stack is poorly integrated with Mac OS and is using some other signalling mechanism. If that's the case, your socket code probably needs to pick up the slack and provide the necessary glue to feed packets into the event stream by making the sockets into file handles.