On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 16:38 -0800, steve uurtamo wrote:
> in absolute terms, the time issue doesn't matter until
> some piece of code is good enough to beat a dan-level
> player on a 19x19 board at *any* physically realistic time
> constraint. which hasn't yet been demonstrated.  the super
> slow motion tournament would be a good way for us to notice
> when this happens.

Chrilly correctly points out that one of the
programs tested played a lot faster than most of the
others.    Even if none them can beat a dan level player,
what does this have to do with the big time advantage?

My programs benefit enormously from extra time and if
someone tested it playing at 1 second to another program
playing at 1 minute I would probably view the test as
unfair.   Are you saying this would be fair because
neither program can beat a 1 dan player?   I don't get it.

I like your idea of playing slow motion tournaments.
Unfortunately,  it's difficult getting humans involved
to compare.  But perhaps your stone handicap idea gives
us a way to make rough comparisons.

- Don