Quoting Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
I don't understand who the players were in the 9 handicap game.
Who received the handicap and who was Valkyria's opponent?

Was the opponent the un-pruned version of Valkyria?

No, the opponent was myself, european 2 Dan as white taking a 9 handicap on
19x19. If a program can give me trouble with 9 stones then I consider it as
strong for a program. I might also be playing a little nice when I test my
programs, since I want to see how it reacts to proper moves not to really
aggressive tricky ones.

more comments below ...
This is clearly true - but probably because the games are much longer.
With
some 19x19 experiments I did using my old-fashioned MC program (which
has
limited scaling)  the improvements were enormous with a doubling of the
number of play-outs.   With 9x9 the improvements were also significant,
but not nearly so much.

When I watch Valkyria analyze a 19x19 position it often goees like this:

For the first 30 seconds or so it almost random, it does not have the
statistical power to pick out good moves.

Then it starts jump around between some moves that at least make sense.

After 2-10 minutes it might actually pick out one or more really good moves
which one would expect a 10 kyu player to play.

But often it also suddenly pick a really bad move and play it so the
descrioption above is a little idealized. Some critical move it actually finds
after a few seconds so I really have to use some more flexible time control.