On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 11:34 +0100, Heikki Levanto wrote:

> All this could be avoided by a simple rule: Instead of using +1 and -1
> as the results, use +1000 and -1000, and add the final score to this.

Heikki,

I've tried ideas such as this in the past and it's quite
frustrating - everything that tries to take territory
scoring into account weakens the program.

If you just need to see prettier moves,  I think it is
good enough to priortize the moves using some other
algorithm at the root of the tree.   If you just cover
the case where a program is "easily winning" or losing
it will play "nicer" but not stronger.