On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 00:46 +0100, Heikki Levanto wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 04:42:01PM -0500, Don Dailey wrote:
> > In truth the only thing that matters is to increase your winning
> > percentage - not your score.   There seems to be no point in tampering
> > with this.
>
> I guess I must accept the wisdom of those who have tried these things.
> Still, it hurts my intuition that it could be better for a program to
> choose a line where it seems to win by 2 points, when another line seems
> to end in a 100 point win. What if the opponent can improve his play
> from what I expected, and gain an extra 3 points somewhere?
>
> Maybe all this shows that we have not (yet?) understood all the
> complications of the MC evaluation, and that more research is needed?
>
> -H

I agree, more research is needed.

My intuition is also the same as yours - one would think 100 point
win is better.   It's not that it's better or it's a better move
objectively,  but it should be better against a fallible opponent
who could easily get distracted by the little battles and forget
the real point of the game.   At least it's a way to fight when
you are losing.