After looking at your message I'm not sure you understand how
I set this up.

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 01:00 +0100, Unknown wrote:
> > to binary search the file on the parent position key,
> > collect all of these records together (making sure there is a
> > legal move which leads to the cannonical response key) and then
>
> You are not clear here.
> Is there only a one-move-step between key and resp ?
> Why not store the move in the first place ? (instead of the resulting
> hash)

The book has 1 record per playable move.  If there are 4 responses
to some position in the book, there will be 4 records, one for each
possible response.   Those 4 keys will have the same "key" field
which is a "cannonical key" of the position.  But they will have
separate child keys (resp for resulting position) which are also
cannonical.   From some actual position it's trivial to convert
the cannonical child keys to actual moves using the cannoical hash.

The "count" is just a priority system which right now happens
to corespond to how many times the book searcher wanted to play
the move in question (and since I set an arbitrary limit of 8
searches,  all the moves for a given position would total 8 if
all the lookups have been completed.)

Doing 8 searches is time-consuming, but I really prefer a book
that has a LOT of variety.

If I decide that the book stuff is really useful,  I will
probably convert it to use a sqlite3 database which is quite
nice and easy to use and manage,  I might even place search
data such as the score and number of nodes searched in such
a database.