The best thing one can do is to write the articles already for the journalists.
Or to formulate at least some key sentences. But even this does not really help
to be misquoted.
If one wants to be quoted, one has to live with the misquotes. As long as there
is no really bad intension, its in my opinion harmless. The more dangerous
thing is that one is very quickly put into a "box".
E.g. there was a photographer here and a put on my traditional suit
("Lederhose") and we made photos were I stood on a rock. It was clearly an
ironic citation of Erzherzog Johann (a brother of the Austrian emporer which
was painted many times in this pose). But the irony got completly lost and when
the Austrian TV was here, they insisted that I and my wife put on their
traditional clothing. I did not like it, because I did not want to be
"hillbilly genius". Finally the TV-people and my wife persuaded me to put on my
Lederhose. And when the New Yorker came here, they also wanted me in
Lederhose...
I am working currently at Erlangen in Germany. Even there I was already asked
why I wear a Levis and not a Lederhose.

=> You have to be very carefull what kind of Atavar you choose for the public.
Once the Atavar is created, he can not really controlled any more.

According to Andy Warhol everybody has nowadays the right to be famous for 15
minutes. I think 15 minutes is fun, but after some time the interviews and the
questions of people "Are you..." get boring. Additionally computer chess or go
has the big drawback that the groupies are older man. If a nice young lady
would ask me in Erlangen about the Blue Jeans question, it would be maybe more
interesting.
On the other hand I am working now together with hardware-experts from
Analog-Devices. When we started the project I got a mail, are you the Hydra
programmer. This made things certainly easier.

Chrilly