Chrilly,

I was recently interviewed by someone in the MIT wrting department
(about computer chess) and I was very hesitant to agree.    I have
some anxiety about how it will come out!   However, the journalist
seemed to really want to get the facts straight and I have some
hope ...

In general, most journalists are looking for a phrase to latch on
to,  and they want their article to have appeal, often at the
expense of annoying and mundane facts.

I think it's possible to write very informative and interesting
articles without taking any liberties,  but unfortunately
journalists usually prefer to cater to popular myth and
misconceptions - milking it for all it's worth!

I was also interviewd around the time of the Kasparov Deep Blue
match on FOX news in Boston.   The interview lasted about an hour
but they took a single unimportant phrase out of the whole session
which added some dramatic appeal to the piece.   Of course the
piece itself was about 30 seconds at most.   What I remember most
was that I actually refuted a misconception that they ignored.
They used that same misconception to make it appeal to the audience.
They were not looking for real content - just a sound bite.

I didn't have any problem with this, they didn't misrepresent anything
I said personally.  They just needed an expert to make the piece seem
like serious journalism.

A problem they have to deal with is that in a very short time they
have to try to get some information out.   So they will say stupid
things like "computers have proven they are better."    They cannot
give a course on probability and statistics and it's probably too
much, at least for an american audience, to explain that winning
a 4 game match doesn't consistitue "proof" of superiority in any
scientfic sense.

That's why I made the comment that if Mogo loses a match to a 6 dan
player,  and it's in the context of a disccusion where it is claimed
that Mogo is a mid-kyu player only,  it will come across as "proof"
that Mogo really must be only a mid-kyu player, because it lost to
a 6 dan!     I know that's silly to us but not to the general
population.

After the Kasparov match I heard all kinds of nonsense that made
my ears hurt!

- Don