On Dec 11, 2007 4:00 AM, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Erik van der Werf wrote:
> > On Dec 10, 2007 6:48 PM, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> In Go however, even if the fundamental game is unchanged you may be
> >> playing illegal moves if you are not aware of the superko situation.
> >>

> > And you think superko is part of the fundamental game???
> >
> Well, I seem to be saying here that it is NOT part of the fundamental
> game.

I'm sorry, then I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

> > BTW Several authors here use the words repetition and superko as
> > synonyms; I believe this is misleading.
> >
> They are essentially synonyms - I don't see your point.

I think you've just proven my point ;-)

In my opinion repetition is a more neutral word. It avoids mixing
conditions with consequences.

> There is some
> question about how you define a position (a board state, or a board
> configuration i.e. SSK or PSK)  but you can nitpick if you want and say
> that superko has nothing to do with positions repeating but I think when
> a position repeats it's superko.

And when you say it's superko my first thought is that the game is
over because one player just made an illegal move...

> Are you just trying to nitpick semantics?

In a loose informal context this would certainly be nitpicking (e.g.
the difference between 'ko' and 'ko-rule'). However when it is about
formalizing rules it really helps to be precise and minimize ambiguity
(I would think TT-proponents should at least agree with me on this). I
really do think it is important to distinguish clearly between
conditions (what constitutes a repetition) and consequences (direct
loss / continued analysis / no result, etc.).

Erik