Don Dailey wrote:
Gian-Carlo,

We could probably add this new version to the mix and extend the
study.    But what kind of data has your own testing produced?   Do you
have an indication that it is roughly as strong at the same basic time
setting (because of it's being 3X faster or so?)

It is definitely weaker at the same basic time setting, otherwhise there would have been no point to move to heavier playouts.

I will run a test at 16k playouts to see the ELO difference.

Even if it isn't,  it would still be interesting to see if the line is
parallel.    It might indicate, for instance, that some simplified
hardware implementation of play-outs could be competitive.

Yes, exactly. It also means that much higher levels are probably more easily reached via playout improvements than via search improvements or hardware improvements.

--
GCP