On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That always irks me when I hear this kind of thing.   The world is basically
> windows "chauvinistic" and it's common to find little consideration given to
> any other platform.
> Did you know that you can create your own linux environment without having
> to "touch" the machine you will be using?   My wife has her own windows
> machine that she doesn't want me "touching",  but I have a complete linux
> install via an external hard drive that leaves her machine "untouched."
>  Although the install is specific to that machine, it is easy to build
> "universal" setups that will boot on any modern PC into Linux, without
> touching the hard drive of that machine.    This would require that you
> bring a memory stick of some kind or perhaps an external USB hard drive.
>  You can get big ones really cheap now, and they are very compact.     You
> plug it into the USB port and then boot into Linux.
> In my opinion, the tournament organizers should do this for you and the
> other potential Linux participants since Linux is becoming more and more
> popular and apparently it is already very popular with Go programmers.
> There are several possibilities for setting up machines that could use
> either Windows or Linux that would not require major effort on their part -
> just one good Linux guy helping them.
>
> I also feel for the Mac people and also people that have built programs that
> run on networks of workstations or other potential supercomputer programs
> that would not be able to participate.

I have DSL-N (Damn Small Linux) on a USB stick so I can probably make
something that boots. However I'm woried about the hardware support
and network configuration (it has to connect to KGS). Also I think I
would have to upgrade the kernel, but I don't know how easy that will
be with DSL (and if I have time for it). Anyway, simply using an ssh
connection to my machine at home would have been *much* easier...

Erik