Dave Dyer wrote:
At 09:29 AM 7/17/2008, David Fotland wrote:
It irks me a little that Linux people refuse to consider porting their
programs to Windows :)  With cygwin, it's pretty easy to port Linux
programs.

Isn't it the case that Cygwin is no help if the program has a GUI.
Yes, if you have a GUI that is not built around a cross-platform library. Even though I hate windows and don't use it, I still always try to accommodate Windows users and of course I like the Mac platform (it is Unix based) and try to support it too. There are cross-platform ways to accommodate GUI's, but that's not much help if your program has already been developed. For the same basic reason I avoid ASP or any proprietary solution to anything if I can avoid it. One of my clients uses ASP and I convinced them to move to PHP in their web stuff - we are trying to converge to open standards and want the flexibility to be able to run on ANYTHING, especially not being tied down to things that require expensive proprietary solutions.

- don