David Fotland wrote:
It irks me a little that Linux people refuse to consider porting their
programs to Windows :)  With cygwin, it's pretty easy to port Linux
programs.  Since these programs work on CGOS they have a gtp interface, so
they don't even need cygwin.  Just recompile using gcc and use a free GTP
windows GUI.  It's pretty trivial.

Not trolling for flames, just expressing an opinion.  If someone is not
willing to put in one day effort to port from Linux to Windows, why should
they expect anyone else to put in one day effort to make Linux available as
a platform?  It seems Linux people are just as chauvinistic as Windows
people :)

This is not the case however. Windows in the dominate desktop OS and as a result it has become like societies dominated by one race - they tend to call the shots and dismiss the needs of the "other" - it seems to be what human beings gravitate to. If Linux was the dominant OS you would see it working the opposite way and the Windows users would be dismissed as irrelevant. I'm not commenting on the morality of the users of each system - just a statement of how things are.

You would never see a tournament set up such as this with only Linux machines and with the requirement that windows users must bring their own machines. Even though many Windows user assume that only Windows is important, Linux users don't make that assumption - we are used to living in your world, so to speak, even if we feel our OS is superior. I don't fault anyone for believe they work with the best OS, whatever that may be, but it irks me when they show the dismissive attitude.

Even though you attached a smiley face to your first statement, it basically reveal the attitude of most Windows users, the belief that everyone else should accommodate them. Of course it doesn't matter if the price must be paid several times by the Linux people. One person could set up the memory stick solution 1 time, or you could require EACH and every Linux person to do the port to a system they may not understand that well. That's where the chauvinism comes in, it probably seems like a perfectly reasonable solution to require several people to do work instead of just one when it's not YOU required to do the work. That's chauvinism. I noticed that a LOT of programmers have been able to distribute BOTH a windows and linux version of their program. I see this with Chess and GO. I very strongly suspect that in most cases, if BOTH versions are available you will find that the developer is a Linux programmer - not a Windows programmer. I know there are a few exceptions to this, but the general mentality of many Windows programmers is not such that a Linux version is likely to happen. Just one last thing to give you a sense of where I am coming from. A while back I had a network problem and called up my service provider to see if there was an outage or whether I had some problem in my own configuration. The guy wanted to help me fix it and started hammering me with questions, such as "is the modem plugged in", etc. Probably working from some default troubleshooting list he was trained to use, he asked me to do some Windows thingy, "please click your mouse on the control panel ..." I told him my computer was running Linux. He asked me, "what's linux?" I informed him that it was a different operating system and then he immediately blurted out gleefully, "Well that's your problem!!!" The genius on the other end thought he had solved the problem and suggested that I go out and purchase windows and then it would work. Of course I remained cool, and even saw some humor in this. This poor sucker was another victim of the whole marketing propaganda machinery of the Microsoft Corporation, and probably believed that Bill Gates invented the internet. He was certainly ignorant of the fact that the internet is Unix based and "windows connectivity" is an oxymoron. Throughout the years I have always had problems with service providers and the internet. My connection has always worked just find on Linux boxes, but there was one case where I had to argue with a DSL provider to get him to sell me the DSL connection - he was 99% sure it just wouldn't work on Unix. So David, this is what I mean by chauvinism - not a moral statement but a general uphill battle that Windows users don't know a thing about. A basic ignorance and unwillingness to yield that we have had to fight from time to time. Despite what you may think, it can't just be dismissed with a hand wave and by saying we are the ones unwilling to yield.

- Don

David